List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Information on key handling with Microsoft products    [PKCS
From:       "Sergei O. Ivanov" <sergiva () NWLINK ! COM>
Date:       1998-01-29 18:28:42

Stephen,

Did you implement the public key encryption mode? Honestly, I haven't seen
really complete implementation anywhere--I suspect difficulties with handling
all those incompatible key mgmt mechanisms make it pretty hard.

And, by the way, which version of the standard have you used? It went a long
way of evolution starting with Brian Beckman's original and then there were
probably four more drafts with RSA's changes.

The standard in its current state is fairly sophisticated and, as you know,
allows for a lot more things than certs and private keys. Typed secret bags
(SecretBag ASN.1 type), for example, could've been used to carry things
like your browser settings, email account configuration, etc. Not sure why
neither Netscape nor MS did not support this.

-Sergei