List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Embarassment for choosing CAPI?
From:       Blair Dillaway <blaird () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1998-01-27 0:27:06

If you are running IE 4.x the approach described below doesn't work.  (There
were some direct dependencies on the Registry in CSPs shipped with IE 3.x,
but these weaknesses have been addressed in our current product).  The
export and/or key protection flag must be set at the time the key is
generated or imported into the Microsoft base CSPs.  This information is
actually stored, in an encrypted form, with the key blob.  This is why we'll
post a utility to let users change these settings if they're concerned.  The
operation requires the key actually be exported and then re-imported with
the new settings.  Note that there is no way to make a non-exportable key
exportable with this utility.

It is obviously preferrable that the user be allowed to specify these
settings as part of the Certificate enrollment process.  We are working
various CAs to try and make sure this is uniformly supported in the future.

Blair Dillaway
Program Manager, Microsoft Corp.