List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Distributing rsabase.dll
From:       Christopher Harvey <chrish () HOTWIRE ! NET>
Date:       1997-11-20 14:04:54

Greetings,

My company develops an NT/95 client/server application that relies on
rsabase.dll.  However, version 5.x of rsabase.dll included with IE4
has created an incompatibility within our application.  Because of our
current development cycle, we will be unable make code corrections to
the encryption module until next year.  However, we are able to
correct the problem by redistributing version 4 of rsabase.dll and
placing it in our application directory and adding the necessary
registry key as follows:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults\Provider\
Microsoft Base Cryptographic Provider v1.0 for BackupNet]
"Type"=dword:00000001 "Signature"=hex:bd,9f,13,c5,....... "Image
Path"="C:\\Program Files\\BackupNet\\rsabase.dll"

The issue at hand is: Are we permitted to redistribute the older
version of rsabase.dll to be placed in our application directory.  I
understand that actual redistribution of the complete CryptoAPI
framework is not permitted.  However, in our situation, the client
will already have CryptoAPI installed via NT4 - SP3/OSR2/IE3.02/IE4
and we will not be interfering with the current version of the
rsabase.dll located in the system/system32 directory.  Does this still
preclude us from distributing just the rsabase.dll file?

I greatly appreciate your assistance in this matter.

Kind Regards

Chris Harvey

Christopher Harvey
Chief Information Officer               chrish@hotwire.net
Hot Wire Data Security, Inc.            www.backup.net
1227 Liberty Street                     1-888-HOTWIRE
Allentown, PA 18102                     Fax: (610) 435-6449