List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Using CA outside USA and Canada
From:       Oronzo Berlen <berlen () OLIVETTIRICERCA ! IT>
Date:       1997-09-19 10:25:55

I'm trying to figure out if it is possible to use CA software
reaslized in USA or Canada, like Netscape or MS CA, outside of
outside of these countries without any limitation.

What I need is to allow the users to generate asymmetric keys using
non USA software then with key lenght of at least 1024 bits, and then
selected CA to sign such a certificate with its private key which
should be at least 1024 bits long.

Is this feasible?

As far as I understood it is, since North American legislation about
cryptography allows to export tools which are able to sign things
(like a CA) with key lenght of 1024 bits.

Thanks
Oronzo Berlen
Olivetti Ricerca
S.S. 271 Contrada la Marchesa