List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Creating SymetricKey using external key data
From:       Terry Harding <betterh () PRIMENET ! COM>
Date:       1997-07-25 2:43:41

John,

Thank you for the response,  the key generation process takes two
different paths, depending upon the length of the key and is not
simply the hash of some data.
.
The process of key generation was devised by Netscape, when they created

their export facility, for exporting private keys and certificates in
communicator.

I need a way to use the key data i have generated outside of the CSP,
this not only includes symetric keys, but also a RSA private keyr.

If they is no way of importing externally created keys into the CSP, i
will have to look at other avenues, such
as using another cryptographic base for our product.

Thanks again.

Terry Harding
Cyclone Software.

John Banes wrote:

> I've never gotten around to reading the PKCS #12 spec, but maybe I can
>
> give you a couple of clues.
>
> First of all, it is not possible (when using the Microsoft CSPs) to
> import/export non-encrypted bulk encryption keys.
>
> Also, it is not possible (using Microsoft CSPs) to set a hash value
> (via
> CryptSetHashParam) and then derive a bulk encryption key from it.
>
> You might try using CryptHashData to hash the password etc, and then
> using CryptDeriveKey (and possibly CryptSetKeyParam) to generate the
> key. Of course, this will only work if the hash and key sizes are
> compatible. The appendix describing the internals of CryptDeriveKey
> might prove helpful here.
>
> The "simplified crypto" functions provided by CryptoAPI 2.0 might also
>
> prove useful, but I somehow haven't gotten around to reading that spec
>
> either.
>
> Good luck,
>
> John

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]