List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: Turning on 128bit SSL for MSIE3.02?
From:       John Banes <jbanes () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1997-06-27 21:01:46

There are indeed two versions of Internet Explorer 3.0x, one being
"export" and one "domestic". The export version has support for the SSL
cipher suites that use 40-bit bulk encryption. The domestic version
supports both the 40-bit and the 128-bit cipher suites.

Note that on Windows NT, the strength of supported bulk encryption does
not depend on the version of IE 3.0x, but on the NT service pack you
have installed (e.g. the export SP3 vs. the domestic SP3).

Internet Explorer 3.0x does not use CryptoAPI for bulk data encryption,
so changing your default CSP will have no effect in this regard.

John Banes
crypto developer