List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    NOTE for CSP developers
From:       Jeff Spelman <jeffspel () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1997-05-23 19:48:45

I wanted to share some information with CSP developers about CSP naming.
The Microsoft Base Provider and the Enhanced Provider both have a
version indicator in the name, "v1.0".  This was a mistake and I would
advise other CSP developers to avoid making the same mistake.  As we
release new versions (greater than 1.0) of these CSPs we must still keep
the same name (with "v1.0" in it), since there are existing applications
which have this name hard coded into them.  You can save yourself some
hassle by not putting versioning information into your CSP name.

Thanks, Jeff