List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: IE3.02 and X.509v3 Certificate Authorities (Doesn't Work)
From:       Luke Koops <koops () ENTRUST ! COM>
Date:       1997-04-25 19:58:08

I think I know what your problem is.  After you import the CA
certificate, you see the new certificate in the list of sites, but you
cannot use it to authenticate certificates which are presented to your
browser.  If you exit IE3.02, and then run it again, the CA certificate
will work for you.  I don't know why this behaviour was introduced,
perhaps it is a bug.

A different problem I have encountered is with firewalls.  A fire wall
can be configured to disable ActiveX, as a result CERTENR3 will not
work.  The fire walls do this by filtering anchors out of the OBJECT tag
in all html that it passes through the gateway.  IE will give an error
424 if this happens.  Hopefully the ability to import certificates into
IE will be built into some future release of the browser, and not depend
upon an activeX control such as CERTENR3.

Luke