List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Implementations of CryptoAPI
From:       Tim Fisher <fisher () PHX ! SECTEL ! MOT ! COM>
Date:       1997-01-23 22:56:58

I have a question regarding the licensing implications/legal issues that
would arise if a third-party security vendor were to want to map their
Security Toolkit API to that of the Microsoft CryptoAPI.

I am not talking about a vendor writing to the CSP API, but rather the
vendor adding the CryptoAPI to his security toolkit implementation.
This would mean that the end-user of this toolkit would NOT be using the
Microsoft implementation of CryptoAPI, but would still be writing to the
same API.
In this case the implementation of the CryptoAPI would be that of the
third-party vendor.

Does anyone know of Microsoft's policy for allowing this?

Is Microsoft promoting CryptoAPI as a standard API which would mean they
would allow implementations other than that of their own?

Sincerely,
Timothy Fisher
p26065@email.mot.com
602-441-2837