List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    CryptAcquireContext failing
From:       Erin Lazzaro <ELazzaro () SYMANTEC ! COM>
Date:       1997-01-22 19:03:45

     CryptAcquireContext returns FALSE and GetLastError returns 0.
     What could be wrong?

     I'm running on NT 4.0 w/SP2.  I had the 2.0 CryptoAPI beta
     installed, but I have uninstalled it and reinstalled MSIE 3.01.
     None of this has affected the problem.  MSIE correctly displays
     certificates and can access secure sites (at Verisign).  My call
     looks exactly like the example:

        if (CryptAcquireContext( &hProv, NULL, NULL, PROV_RSA_FULL, 0 ))

     (except that the example has a ! because they have error-handling
     in the then clause, while I have it in the else clause)

     What could I be doing wrong?

     Thanks,
     Erin Lazzaro