List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Re: CSP Development for CAPI 2.0
From:       Rob Price <robp () MICROSOFT ! COM>
Date:       1996-12-18 16:35:27

Susan,

Re your (perceptive) questions on certificate and key storage:

The current developer's release of CAPI 2 handles certificate storage
itself, as you observe. In the (very) near future we'll be expanding on
the capability to install certificate storage providers, as well as key
storage providers (the idea being that you may want to take an existing
CAPI CSP and provide enhanced key storage and management, without
reimplementing the part of the CSP that implements a suite of
cryptographic algorithms). We also have explicit work underway here as
part of our smartcard development to enable card-based storage  using
these mechanisms (we just released some specifications in this area last
week!).

You can be assured that (a) we'll unify these things so a single code
module or medium can provide storage for both keys and certificates, if
desired, as well as passwords or other 'secrets' (so no, you won't need
two smartcads), and (b) the application-level interfaces won't need to
change -- existing code that calls Crypto API and uses named key
containers or certificate stores won't need changing and the API will
transparently be able to store this data on various media in various
formats.

Directories are good places to look up other peoples' certificates, but
generally speaking for your own certificates you'll want local copies
you can always access. And of course, directories are not ideal to say
the least for storing your private keys...

As a pragmatic note, for the next year or so smartcards will have barely
enough storage, if at all, to store certificates, so in practice most
systems will want to store only key material on the smartcard and store
certificates locally, in a directory, or both.