List:       ms-cifs
Subject:    Re: Implementing a named pipe share?
From:       James Kumorek <kumorek () NASHUA ! PROGRESS ! COM>
Date:       1997-03-25 15:36:50

On Mar 25,  1:58pm, Roger Binns wrote:
> Subject: Re: Implementing a named pipe share?
> > for this share, I send a data bytes reply of "IPC\0".  In my administrative
> > tool, I issue a CreateFile call to connect to this named pipe share, which
> > succeeds.  I then call WriteFile to send a 9 byte string to the named pipe.
> > This call is failing with the error "Incorrect function".
>
> Its important that you get the message vs byte stream semantics.  In VisionFS
> we use a byte stream for the pipe.  To get it to work with 16 and 32 bits
> clients on all versions of Windows, we set the following fields in the
> fileopen return:
>
>   AdditionalType -> FIFO_MESSAGE_MODE(2)
>   NonBlocking    -> true
>   ServerEndPoint -> true
>
> On the client, the file io is done with _lopen/_lread/_lwrite/_lclose
>
> If you really do want to use CreateFile, or you are not in control of the
> client end software, I suggest you try each of the values for the fields
> returned by fileopen.  Do make sure you try it on each of the operating
> systems, since they are very fussy about which bits they will accept.

I'm a bit confused.  I can't find any reference to any of the things that you
are talking about in the CIFS spec.  Also, I don't get any fileopen message;
I'm only getting a TREE_CONNECT_ANDX message, and there I definately don't see
any mention of anything like FIFO_MESSAGE_MODE, NonBlocking and ServerEndPoint
in the section that describes the TREE_CONNECT_ANDX message.

Additionally, I've looked at what SAMBA is returning in response to a
CREATE_CONNECT_ANDX message to the IPC$ share, and it is returning something
very different from what the spec calls for.  The CIFS spec says that the byte
data part of the response should be the service type followed by the Native file
system name.  What SAMBA is returning for this TREE_CONNECT_ANDX request is:

"Unix\0Samba 1.9.16p9\0WORKGROUP"

Rather odd, and Unix is not a valid service type, and there is a third string
added to the response.

Could you elaborate any more on your response?  Just where in my response to the
TREE_CONNECT_ANDX message should I be diddling with FIFO_MESSAGE_MODE,
NonBlocking and ServerEndPoint?

Thanks for the help!

       - Jim