List:       ms-capicom
Subject:    Re: Viewing and verifying signed data
From:       "Michel Gallant (MVP)" <neutron () ISTAR ! CA>
Date:       2003-03-14 4:14:04

Dave,
You can sign the data as "included" or "detached" as specified by
second argument of SignedData.Sign method:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/security/security/signeddata_sign.asp

If you include the data (second argument false), the data is encoded into the
CMS/pkcs7 signature block. In this case, your client application will need
to extract that content from the signed-data file that is downloaded (or
on the server) and simply extract the data for display.
A simple client-side vbs example of this is:
    http://pages.istar.ca/~neutron/clientsign
While the included-data signature is generated here on the client, for you
case you would deploy this encoded signature block the server and have
the client script simply verify the signature and extract the raw content.

 - Michel Gallant
   MVP Security
   http://www.jensign.com