List:       ms-authenticode
Subject:    win95 vs nt certificates: what am I missing?
From:       maliaa () WRQ ! COM
Date:       1997-07-09 18:39:25

     I'm clearly not "getting" something here...My co-worker and I are
     working (experimenting, actually) on getting some code packaged up and
     signed. So, as sort of a test, we each requested Class2 digital ids
     from Verisign. As it happens, my co-worker used an NT4.0 box to
     request his id, I used a Win95 box. Both of us have IE3.0.2 with
     updated JavaVM (shouldn't matter, right?) and Authenticode 2.0
     updates. During the process of requesting ids, my co-worker was asked
     where he'd like to save the private key, along with some strong words
     about using a floppy and not saving it to his hard disk. I, on the
     other hand, was simply asked for the "name" I would like to give my
     private key. I was never prompted to save it anywhere.

     Ok, so here's the confusion: my co-worker can now use his saved
     private key along with the ActiveX SDK tools to sign code. I, on the
     other hand, have nothing (that I know of) to provide to the tools to
     indicate that I *have* a private key. My real question: how do I use
     this key that I have (who knows where) to actually sign code? I don't
     see how the Win95 "invisible certificate" is useful.

     A further point of concern: I did a search on my registry with the
     name I gave the private key and, much to my surprise, there it was!
     Hmmm...given that in my co-worker's case Microsoft decided to strongly
     warn him about the evils of saving this information on his hard drive
     in NT, why is it (apparently?) being saved to *my* hard drive???

     Ok, so what am I missing? All help greatly appreciated.

      -- Malia