List:       ms-atl
Subject:    Re: Bring WTL out of the SDK
From:       Erik Funkenbusch <erikf () VISI ! COM>
Date:       2000-10-31 0:47:38

From: "Brian Weeres" <bweeres@PROTEGRA.COM>

> I understand most of the concerns people have about MFC but would still
like
> to see an upgrade for any enhancements we want to do to existing projects
> that were done in MFC. For new Windows GUI development we will probably be
> looking into WinForms and C# or Managed C++ as opposed to WTL.

Agreed.  I just took exception over your claim that there was no need for
WTL.  WinForms, C# and managed C++ are not going to do away with the need
for WTL/ATL.  C++ is still a standardized language, and there will be many
many people that want to stick to non-proprietary frameworks.  WTL/ATL is
compileable on other C++ compilers.