List:       ms-atl
Subject:    Re: Bring WTL out of the SDK! (NO)
From:       "Jason T. Dossett" <jdossett () SEP ! COM>
Date:       2000-10-30 23:51:19

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Chakra wrote:

> Right now WTL is free. Although for now I use MSVC, I would like to retain
> the option to use another IDE without letting go WTL.

I can't say that I've tried it, but WTL is based on ATL, and I wouldn't
want to try to build ATL code using some other compiler besides VC.

On the other hand, if you can build ATL code with another compiler,
there's no reason to believe that adding IDE support for WTL would prevent
you from building WTL code using that other compiler.

IDE support not only makes it easier, but it also gives management a warm
fuzzy feeling inside knowing that their developers aren't using
'unsupported' technology.  (Please no thread on whether WTL is unsupported
or not, I used quotes for a reason.)

As to the other comment about updating MFC: every hour spent updating MFC
is one hour that could have been spent making WTL as easy to use as MFC
(ClassWizard for example) and creating tools that aid in porting legacy
MFC code to WTL.

I want Microsoft to update MFC as well.  Of course, I consider WTL to be
that update.

Jason Dossett
Senior Engineer
SEP, Inc.