List:       ms-atl
Subject:    Re: Learning ATL
From:       Paul Hollingsworth <Paul.Hollingsworth () MICROHEDGE ! COM>
Date:       2000-07-31 22:08:52

<snip>
My problem is not understanding the above, but implementing it when faced
with the complexity of the ATL heirarchy.
</snip>

My advice is to write a few COM servers from scratch in plain C++ without
using *any* ATL. There's an article in MSDN "From CPP to COM" which is
fairly good.

The next step is to start learning about templates and template programming
- the appendix of "ATL Internals" is a good guide to this.

"Essential COM" is also good to refer to whilst you are going through these
steps.

Once you've done this, you'll find ATL much easier to pick up and
understand.

This was my own path to "enlightenment".

HTH,

Paul Hollingsworth
http://homepage.interaccess.com/~hollp