List:       ms-atl
Subject:    Re: Connection point problems
From:       Ian Harding <ian_h () MEKON ! CO ! UK>
Date:       1998-02-27 9:26:22

Thanks for the reply,

I don't understand how type library marshalling, or registering the
proxy/stub DLL will help with my problem.  My understanding, from
reading past postings to this list and books on COM/DCOM leads me to
believe that marshalling is used to transfer data meaningfully between
processes and this can be carried out without custom marshalling so long
as the interface is automation compatible. I do have two processes here,
each with an instance of the in-process server, but the problem seems to
be that when the event-firing method on the incoming interface is called
from the client which called AtlAdvise() then on one of the two instance
pointers in the global array it finds that m_vec.begin() contains a
pointer to it's own sink whereas the client that didn't call AtlAdvise()
also finds pointers to both instances of the server in the array but
finds that both have m_vec.begin() == 0 so therefore doesn't have any
sink pointers to pass the event to.

If the non-connection point client was finding something in m_vec of the
connected sink's instance of the server that would be something even if
the data was invalid because it hadn't been marshaled.  Is this
behavior just because the server object is in-process ( I've had a very
similar combination of components working correctly when the server was
a simple COM object running out of process )?  *Should* what I've
described in this and my original posting work or am I still missing the
point?

Thank you for your continuing tolerance.

Regards...Ian Harding or ianh@mekon.co.uk

*       Mekon Ltd. - Documentation and Digital Media Solutions - an ISO
9000 registered company.
*       Bridge House, Restmor Way, Wallington, Surrey,  UK, SM6 7AH
*       Tel: +44 (0) 181 288 9994 Fax: +44 (0) 181 773 4755
*       General Email: info@mekon.co.uk
*       URL: http://www.mekon.co.uk

STOP PRESS: Mekon now have credit card facilities. VISA, MASTERCARD,
SWITCH, DELTA and ELECTRON cards accepted.