List:       mrtg
Subject:    Re: [mrtg] phisycal memory
From:       "Steve Shipway" <s.shipway () auckland ! ac ! nz>
Date:       2007-09-23 22:40:31

> I want to monitor the use of phisycal memory on my windows server.
> I have hrStorageUsed.7 and hrStorageAllocationUnits.7
> To have the used memory I must multiply the hrStorageUsed.7 and
> hrStorageAllocationUnits.7 value.
> How can I do this in my Target mrtg?

Target[windowsserver]: hrStorageUsed.7&pseudozero:community@server *
hrStorageAllocationUnits.7&pseudozero:community@server

See the MRTG documentation on calculated targets for more detail.
However, for memory the AllocationUnits are always the same.  You could
instead just monitor hrStorageUsed and use Factor[] to multiply it by
the appropriate value.

> If I put in my windows server an usb disk or an usb memory card the
> variables hrStorageUsed.7 and  hrStorageAllocationUnits.7 change in
> hrStorageUsed.8 and hrStorageAllocationUnits.8.
> How can I resolv this?

You have two options.

1) Write a script that has more intelligence and can identify which OID
to retrieve.  This will require scripting ability.
2) Install the pNSclient agent (or nsclient++, or NC_Net) on the windows
server, and query it using mrtg-pnsclient.  This returns memory, CPU,
disk space, etc and any PerfMon counter value.  This is the one we use.
3) Maybe another option exists?

Steve