List:       mrtg
Subject:    [mrtg] Logging to Oracle DB
From:       Craig Metzer <ucantspamthis () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-19 18:27:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Ahoy Maties !! OK, I'll skip the pirate talk to explain my problem ..... Has anyone \
written a mod to log targets to an Oracle (or any other) database using SQL rather \
than local log files? I'm using MRTG to monitor performance on a large network.  I \
have the need to change the log format to use Oracle for several reasons.  1. I'm \
running into performance problems with the dotlog files.  2. I'm using the Sean Adams \
95th%ile to archive my 5 minute samples and calculate 95th%ile (no RRD support).  3. \
I need reporting capabilities.  We use Crystal Reports, so storing my data in the \
enterprise Oracle db opens the door to many reporting options.  4. We're replacing \
MRTG with Proviso next year, so I just need to keep it going until we get the new \
system on-line.  I don't want to invest too much effort in developing the db support. \
I've got RRD support installed and I'm, using it where I can, but the bulk of my \
targets use log files.  My processors are at 100% most due to IOwait.  I believe I'm \
chewing up my resources writing graphs. It looks easy enough to write a function to \
write to the db using SQL.  I need to create the graphs on-demand like is done with \
RRD, so I could mod the CGI script to pull the data from the db rather than RRD.  I \
think that's more involved because it looks like the graph functions are in the RRD \
mod.  If anyone has done this in whole or in part, I'd like to start with that.  If \
not, does anyone have any ideas on the best approach to this?  Arrgh, may the wind be \
with ye and ye sails never rot !!  Craig Metzer \
with hot games and cool activities at the Messenger Café. \
http://www.cafemessenger.com?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_SeptWLtagline