List:       mpls
Subject:    Re: [mpls] Available IP version numbers.
From:       Kireeti Kompella <kireeti.ietf () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-10-06 22:00:48

I'm with you, Sergey.  My answer is, we do not need to take anything (more) from the \
IP numbering space.

There is a complete non-functional hack in some MPLS implementations look at the \
first nibble after the label stack to "determine" whether the packet is IP, and if \
so, load balance on the (hopeful) IP fields found therein.  For this, they use the \
values 0x4 and 0x6 for IPv4 and IPv6 respectively.

We need to acknowledge the existence of this hack in the network, accommodate it, \
limit it, offer a new way forward, and thereby terminate this pseudo-relation between \
the IP version number space and the first nibble.  All set out in a draft a few of us \
are writing.

The piece of IP numbering that's already taken — using 0x4 and 0x6 — well, not \
much one can do at this point, unless we're willing to declare those implementations \
"non grata".