List:       mplayer-users
Subject:    Re: [MPlayer-users] Fullscreen tv-out and X-window running
From:       christopher j bottaro <cjb () cs ! utexas ! edu>
Date:       2003-03-04 3:46:49

[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]

yes.  it took me many weeks and much email to figure out how to do it
properly...and i wrote a little howto...=)

-- christopher

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 08:14 pm, Cheng c Liang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to run fullscreen movie on tv output, and at the same time
> have fullscreen X-window (running other applications) on CRT monitor?
>
> I have read in document that you have to set twinview on nvidia cards to do
> that.  But is there other ways to do it?
>

> Thank you.
>

> Regards,
> Liagh

["nvidia_tvout_multi_x_screens.txt" (text/plain)]

I.  SUMMARY
	this is a short descript on how to get multiple x screens running off the same \
nvidia card with one of those  x screens being a television.  the reason why this is \
desirable is so i can use my computer on my crt as normal  while at the same time be \
watching a movie on my tv played from my computer.

II.  RELEVANT XF86CONFIG SECTIONS

	Section "ServerLayout"
		Identifier     "tv_monitor"
		Screen      0  "monitor"
		Screen 1 "tv" leftOf "monitor"
		InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
		InputDevice	"Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
	EndSection

	Section "Monitor"
		Identifier   "monitor"
		HorizSync   30-97
		VertRefresh 50-180
		Option "dpms"
	EndSection

	Section "Monitor"
		Identifier   "tv"
		HorizSync   30-50
		VertRefresh 60
	EndSection

	Section "Device"
		Identifier   "nvidia_monitor"
		Driver       "nvidia"
		BusID	"PCI:1:0:0"
		Screen	0
	EndSection

	Section "Device"
		Identifier   "nvidia_tv"
		Driver       "nvidia"
		BusID	"PCI:1:0:0"
		Screen	1
	EndSection

	Section "Screen"
		Identifier   "monitor"
		Device       "nvidia_monitor"
		Monitor      "monitor"
		DefaultDepth	16

		Subsection "Display"
			Depth       16
			Modes       "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
		EndSubsection

	EndSection

	Section "Screen"
		Identifier   "tv"
		Device       "nvidia_tv"
		Monitor      "tv"
		DefaultDepth	16

		Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
		Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
		Option "TVOutFormat" "SVIDEO"

		Subsection "Display"
			Depth       16
			Modes       "640x480"
		EndSubsection

	EndSection

	NOTES:
		1) you MUST include BusID for both Device sections.
		2) when X starts up, kde will startup like normal on screen 0 (the crt),
		and a very very basic kde desktop will appear on screen 1 (the tv)

III.  HOW TO USE

	mplayer movie.avi -display :0.1
	this will play the movie on screen 1 (the tv)

IV.  CAVEATS

	by default, screen 0 will get the "video overlay".  whichever screen gets the video \
overlay  will play movies without "tearing".  this means playing movies on the tv \
with this setup  will result is ugly tearing.  i'm waiting on a way to specify which \
screen gets the video overlay.