List:       mp3encoder
Subject:    Re: [MP3 ENCODER] --expopt flag in Lame
From:       Alexander Leidinger <Alexander () leidinger ! net>
Date:       2001-11-12 14:06:25

On 12 Nov, Yosi wrote:

> I was building the latest CVS snapshot of lame, when I noticed that during
> the
> configure phase, I can turn on the flag --expopt flag. --expopt is used to
> indicate
> if experimental optimizations should be used (the values are "full", "norm"
> and "no")
> and the default value is "no".
>
> I compiled lame twice, once with --expopt=no and once with --expopt=full and
> saw
> no difference in both the binary size of lame nor encoding speeds. Is this
> flag
> obsolete? If so, maybe it should be removed from the configure script?

These aren't experimantal options in the code, this switch uses some
compiler options which may produce better code. This not only depends on
the compiler and the version of it, it also depends on the sourcecode of
lame. If you use your own CFLAGS you may not see a large difference
between both versions. Therefore you may or may not see a difference.
And the difference should only be in the time domain of the encoding
and/or in the file size of the lame excutable and the lame library.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
                  Weird enough for government work.