List:       mozilla-wishlist
Subject:    Re: Wish: no more ads
From:       Cameron Simpson <cs () zip ! com ! au>
Date:       1999-01-25 5:35:28

On 24 Jan 1999, in message <36AB4472.CDBE66C7@ix.netcom.com>
  Tim Kelley <tkelley@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
| Nelson Gerhardt wrote:
| > On Mon, 7 Dec 1998 11:29:41 -0800, "Robert Marsanyi" <rnm@whidbey.com>
| > wrote:
| > >This one is pie-in-the-sky, but it's got more chance of happening under
| > >OpenSource: if there were a browser that detected and cut advertising before
| > >I had to see it, I'd use it.  Net pages are starting to look like
| > >magazine/TV, with the amount of real estate given over to real information
| > >constantly shrinking.  I know we can't make all the advertisers put
| > >appropriate XML tags in their code, but if we can't get some control over
| > >something as widespread as this, maybe there's no hope for media at all ...
|
| www.junkbuster.com has a very effective ad blocker and it works very
| well.

We do it for our whole site with squid.

Have a look at:
	http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/answers/ad-zapping-with-squid.txt

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        cs@zip.com.au        http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

You are just paranoid, and all your friends think so too.
	- James Joseph Dominguez <d9250788@zac.riv.csu.edu.au>