List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    Re: 3D Mozilla UI [accomodation of disabled users]
From:       Aaron Leventhal <aaronl () chorus ! net>
Date:       1999-12-25 22:34:43

Yusuf,

>IMO, we're making gigantic allowances for 0.00001% of the world, which
is

>blatantly stupid.

It's true that a balanced view is required, but it's not
<italic>blatantly stupid </italic>to at least consider the special needs
of disabled users. I don't think that the U.I. has to be less fun for
sighted people by accomodating visually impaired users. That said, I
think it would be nice if there was someone on this list who could speak
for visually impaired and other disabled users.

When you add up the numbers, about 1% of the population has a serious
vision problem. About 4% of the population has some kind of print reading
disability!. If you then add all disabled people with special needs, it's
enormous. Some people use software with special keyboards, straws,
speech, etc.

The main thing is 'reasonable accomodation'. IMHO, what disabled people
are most concerned about is when there is no reasonable way for them to
access something, software or not. It's not fun to be locked out of using
something. Disabled people are used to doing more work for the same
results, but thoughtfulness on the part of the developer is always
appreciated.

If there is more than one chrome that people can pick from, it might be
nice. If a color-blind of visually impaired user has a problem with the
3-D look, they can pick something different. However, I think people were
commenting more on whether <italic>they</italic> liked the colors, and
using the color-blind example as an illustration of that.

Regarding accessibility, there should be excellent default keyboard
support as well. This saves time for both disabled and non-disabled
people. In general, many 'curb-cut' types of alterations made to an
interface end up being used by everyone. For example, speech input and
output would be nice for everyone.

Aaron Leventhal

The reason I know this stuff is I developed a word processor for visually
impaired people for about 10 years.