List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    Behavior of Go menu after "Open In New Window"
From:       Jonathan Singer <jsinger () genome ! wi ! mit ! edu>
Date:       1999-11-05 21:44:05

First of all, my apology if I'm posting this to the wrong group. This is
my first contribution here.

There's a suggestion I'd been meaning to make since the Mozilla project
started, and hopefully I'm not too late.  In Navigator, through version
3, when you open a link in a new window, the new window retained the
same history  in the "Go" window as the parent window.

Starting in Netscape 4, IIRC, that has changed. Now, the child window's
history begins with its first URL. I understand the logic behind that
but, at least for me, that logic doesn't reflect the way I use new
windows. Frequently, they're not parent and child in my mind but
independent lines of equal importance. I now have to be careful, when
I'm using multiple windows, that when I close all but one I leave the
parent window. Generally it's not obvious which one that is and I can't
count the number of times I've closed the wrong one and trashed my
history.

I see Mozilla is continuing doing it that way, but I'd strongly endorse
going back to the old way or allowing both options with a preference
option to decide between them. Just my 2 cents...