List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    Re: Domain- or URL- *or mail/news-account-specific* preferences UI
From:       Neil Deakin <ndeakin () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       1999-10-18 14:03:42

Matthew Thomas wrote:

> Yes, although `File type' is of dubious usefulness, given that (a) most
> file types are not Web pages, and (b) most of the preferences are only
> useful when applied to whole Web pages. (Apparently, IE completely
> *ignores* the file type sent by the server anyway ... <shudder/>)

It might be useful to be able to disable files of a certain type and to have
the
download directory different by type, but this certainly wouldn't apply to
all
preferences. Most users could actually get by using a "path - ends with -
gif"
type syntax anyway.

> Basically, along with the domain/path/whatever items in the menu, you
> have the two items `all of the following:', and `any of the following:'.
> When either of these are selected, the rest of the controls in that row
> disappear, and a subsidiary set of query controls appear indented below,
> with their own `More' and `Fewer' buttons, for forming the subquery. The
> same GUI could be used for any Boolean-query-based operation (zones,
> search messages, auto-file bookmarks ...).
>
> There are a few difficulties. Like, the pane for the query needs a
> scroll bar of its own (because queries can be as long as you like). And,
> you need some way of guarding against someone accidentally deleting a
> painstakingly-constructed subquery by accidentally changing its parent
> menu from `all/any of the following:' to something else.

Yes, this would be complicated. In fact, it might be easier to just forget
the
and/or case and just allow multiple rows of ORs. An Advanced button could
be added for more complicated setups.

> > I actually was trying to imply that the default zone preferences were
> > the same ones as the main prefs dialog. I suggest removing them from
> > one or the other to be less confusing. I'd actually prefer to take
> > them out the main dialog to be consistent. This might make the user
> > slightly less confused. Presumably if the user has set up a zone, they
> > would know about such things.
>
> If those prefs were only in the zones dialog, then a user would *have*
> to set up a zone in order to change them ... is that what you meant?

The default zone would not be deletable.

/ Neil