List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: Sidebar Spec]
From:       Koert Lagendijk <k.a.lagendijk () _cut_it_out_rmta ! org ! netscape ! com>
Date:       1999-10-18 1:38:36

Matthew Thomas wrote:
> Koert Lagendijk wrote:

> > With this, you have a single small button doing the job of two
> > scrollbars, and leaving the list item field nice, clean and big,
> > without having to add two big clunky scrollbars to it. A scrollbar is
> > a very good item, but as soon as it takes up more than 5% of the width
> > of a field or window it becomes too big.
>
> But where are you going to put it? Taking up a square (or circular)
> chunk, as such a button would, would be difficult to incorporate nicely
> into a GUI without taking even *more* space than scroll bars would.

Big button? I'm thinking about a single button the size of the
minimise/maximise/close buttons at the top right of a standard MS
window, that's all you need. Perhaps even smaller if neceessary. It
would fit nicely on the right side of the Mozilla panel bars, or in a
small right-hand corner of a list field. We're not talking about
something the size of a Reload button or something.

> > Related features:
> > - Feel free to actually have the button itself dragged around with the
> > mouse cursor, or a copy of the button. Another idea would be to change
> > the mouse pointer into an icon with four arrows.
>
> Or have such scrolling performed by an extra mouse button -- click it,
> and a little pie-menu equivalent pops up, so dragging in a particular
> direction scrolls the pane in that direction.

Well, pressing the right mouse button in a list field and moving the
mouse could also do it, if a right-click doesn't activate a context
menu. But that would probably definetly be too revolutionary...

--
Koert Lagendijk                          k.a.lagendijk[at]bk.tudelft.nl
                                http://student.bk.tudelft.nl/~bk495391/