List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    A Workaround for Charset menu length: [was Re: [Fwd: Menu for Select
From:       momoi () netscape ! com (Katsuhiko Momoi)
Date:       1999-08-27 5:38:21

Hi,

As promised earlier, I have published workaround files for the charset menu
display problem. This is a temporary measure and hopefully in the near future we
will have a customizable charset menu. In addition to creating 6 groups for the
charsets, I have also normalized the charset UI names to the ones we will be
using for the final version. This should work (i.e. all items should be usable)
on Unix clients on a 15-inch screnn monitor. The explanation is documented here
with links to necessary files.

http://www.mozilla.org/quality/intl/charmenufix.html

- Kat

Katsuhiko Momoi wrote:

> Just a warning about the workaround idea I publicized earlier. See my
> comments below.
>
> - Kat
>
> Katsuhiko Momoi wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > First, Tague Griffith and I agreed on a working proposal to implement a
> > common charset UI framework for Browser/Editor/Messenger. (Messenger
> > Compose will have a slightly different charset menu since we plan to
> > promote only the standard Mail charsets). Tague has already addressed
> > this point in another message. The current schedule is to implement a
> > working charset menu for M11. (I plan to externalize teh proposal
> > document very soon.)
> >
> > Second, there is currently a problem not being able to see all the
> > charset menu items. The problem now is experienced in all the platforms.
> > I've been suggesting a workaround in Milestone Release notes for this
> > problem. And I will continue to do so until Tague's implementation is
> > completed. Please look at M9 Intl Release notes or Intl testing hints
> > document which will be externalized in the next few days on the
> > workaround. Basically, I group charset menu into several natural groups.
> > I have an illustration of this linked from M8 Intl Testing Hints
> > document:
> >
> > http://www.mozilla.org/quality/intl/m6/unixchamenu/charmenusample.gif
> >
> > The workaround suggestion for M8 is found here.
> >
> > http://www.mozilla.org/quality/intl/m8intlstatus.html
> >

> Please don't use what is suggested there "directly" for the current builds.
> They will not work and instead will most likely lead to crashes. But you can
> get from these earlier suggestions an idea as to how you should go about
> modifying the relevant menus.
>

> > But this is being revised extensively for M9 since some .xul files have
> > been renamed and we have a new "chrome" directory for these .xul files
> > now. I should have the new M9 testing hints documents in a day or so and
> > will announce it here.
> >
> > - Kat
> >
> > Yung-Fong Tang wrote:
> >

> > > Dear Adul:
> > >
> > > Momoi is addressing the charset menu design issue. Let's chat on the
> > > mozilla-i18n newsgroup for that.

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]