List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    Re: How do peeople expect command line options and prefs settings to interact?
From:       bengoodger () my-deja ! com
Date:       1999-08-26 1:39:06

In article <37C48999.389ED1B6@netscape.com>,
  David Matiskella <davidm@netscape.com> wrote:
> There are 2 ways to specify which Apps (
Navigator, messenger, Composer)
> get opened at startup: the command line and the
prefs. The question is
> if there is a command line option should the
prefs be ignored or should
> you get the combination of both the prefs and
command line? As a
> nonCommand line user I have no feeling for what
user might want.

command line options should force apprunner to
load the module selected in the command line, and
nothing more.

Prefs startup options should be for a starting
"Communicator" (4.x had icons for Communicator,
Navigator, Composer, Messenger etc) I cant
remember how 4.x acted, but the best way of doing
it would be to have the Communicator icon load
whatever's selected in prefs (this would be the
icon that is everywhere - on the desktop etc)..
the other module icons (which in Win32 hide in the
Communicator folder in the start menu) should load
each module by itself. Communicator is a sum of
parts, and its load process should be treated that
way, but those individual parts do not necessarily
have to behave the same way as their aggregate.

at least that's the way I see it :)

[posting from university]
--
Ben Goodger