List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    Re: Some UI Issues related to disability access
From:       Jon Gunderson <jongund () staff ! uiuc ! edu>
Date:       1999-03-11 16:47:56

If you chose not to use standard operating system controls to develop your
own look an feel for Navigator, many types of assistive technologies will
not be able to identifiy or simulate the controls for alternative access to
the browser.  For example a screen reader for the blind will not be able to
identify a custom (non-standard operating system control) as a checkbox,
rendering the checkbox invisible to the blind user.  There are techniques
in some operating systems (like MS-Windows) that allow developers to use
custom controls and still make them accessible to assistive technology.
But these techniques need to be integrated into the design of the control.
While this is not difficult, the developer needs to have it as a
responsibility and understand how to do it correctly.

Jon

At 09:05 AM 3/11/99 -0500, lab@bounceit.net.netscape.com wrote:
>Peter Trudelle wrote:
>>
>> lab@bounceit.net wrote:
>>
>> > Well not having the resources is certainly a valid reason for not being
>> > all things to all people so from a practical (as in useable by the most
>> > people) that means you need to start with a Windows oriented UI whether
>> > you like MS or not because the vast majority of users are on Windows.
>>
>> I don't know about 'Windows oriented', although I'd agree that it needs
to be
>> comfortable for people who are used to Windows UI. There's a danger in
making it
>> look a lot like Windows though, setting up expectations that can't be
fulfilled
>> without making it behave just like Windows too.  An imitation Windows UI
 would
>> completely alienate Mac users. Our plan is to make it visually distinct
from any
>> particular platform, but still quite familiar, with a common feel to it.
 An example
>> of this approach is KDE, which is popular on X, looks quite familiar to
Windows
>> users, yet feels good enough to satisfy Mac users.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> --
>> Peter Trudelle
>> XPToolkit Manager
>> Netscape Communications
>
>Well, being older, and now less willing to adapt to things that have
>been changed _Even when they were working just fine_ I would like to
>see, and play with, the new designs when they are ready.
>
>Please keep in mind that by the time 5.0 hits the streets you are going
>to have a huge 4.5 base who may well need to be convinced that a new way
>is better for them.
>
>Lyn Bruzaud

Jon Gunderson, Ph.D., ATP
1207 S. Oak Street