List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    Intercepting Mozilla user interface operations
From:       btb () mit ! edu
Date:       1998-10-26 20:08:30

We are trying to modify Navigator and Composer for use in software agents
research at the MIT Media Lab.	Our goal is to be able to intercept (to
monitor and/or take action) user interface operations related to editing in
Composer and browsing in Navigator.

We would like to capture the actions of the user using Navigator and Composer
to create web pages so that we can infer conclusions about the meaning and
relationships of objects being placed on web pages.

By UI operations I mean things like adding a link to a page in Composer or
copying/pasting text from/to Navigator (via the clipboard).  In looking at the
Mozilla source, there seem to be many event queues that we could monitor but
perhaps there is a more general way to monitor user interface operations.

For example, on the Macintosh, most applications provide an Applescript
dictionary that can be used in a macro-recorder to identify specific actions
that occur during a period of time.  Unfortunately, Mozilla's Applescript
dictionary is rather limited.  Only basic operations such as loading a page or
creating a new window are published.  One solution to our problem would be to
augment the dictionary with a fuller range of commands.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

- Thanks in advance!
Brad Block