List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    Re: linux mozilla
From:       tenthumbs () cybernex ! net (TenThumbs)
Date:       1998-09-17 14:57:31

Ramiro Estrugo <ramiro@netscape.com> wrote:

> TenThumbs wrote:
> >
> > I don't mind waiting if it's really cool but, if the toolbars are just going to
> > be horizontal strips, I would be unhappy. What I want is rectangular blocks
> > along the right-hand size; that includes the menu bar. I want as much vertical
> > height on the drawing area as possible. But I'm weird.
>
> How would you stack toolbar vertically ?
>
> How about making the toolbars undockable, like the standard windows98
> toolbars ?
>
> -re

The typical toolbar is a "n x 1" array. I see no reason why it couldn't be "1 x
n." Personally, I would prefer "2 x n" or even "3 x n" but that's just my
opinion. Instead of a toolbar you have a toolbox. Notice that if you undock the
component bar now, you do go to a one column arrangement.

Where to put these things? Wherever you want along the periphery of the browser
window. As I said, I like the right side but they could be at the top (where
they are now) or the bottom or wherever.

If you stack these blocks along the left or right sides, there is the
possibility, again, of wasted space. It might be worth considering a change in
the definition of a button. Right now, buttons are horizontal rectangles, width
> height. You could rotate the button 90° and rotate the text and/or icon the
other way to compensate. Now the toolbar (toolbox?) is higher that wide. This
might be useful for the international market.

Ultimately, I want to be able to design my own buttons; circles, squares,
dodecagons, whatever.

I realize other people like undockable toolbars, but I never use them. I
allocate a certain part of my desktop for the browser and I don't want any part
of the browser to go outside that area. As long as I could dock a toolbar how
and where I want, I'd be happy.

Of course, there would have to be separate arrangements for each window. I
arrange my browser and mail windows differently.