List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    Re: [UI Idea] : 3D structure of WEB site. Hyperbolic Link
From:       Lucas Gonze <lucas () gonze ! com>
Date:       1998-05-31 22:16:08

Looking at the screen shots at your site this does seem useful.  I know
that 3d maps are a Jacob Weisberg recommendation (he calls it "Flying
through the information space").  But what turns me off to this idea is
that it's mainly a programmer's tool, not a user's tool.  By that I mean
that seeing the physical structure of a site is mainly of interest for
technical reasons.  A highly technical (and dogged) user can use the
link map to navigate the site, but there won't necessarily be a useful
correspondence between physical links and the information design.  It
seems to me that conceptual maps (ones that are explicitly created by
the site designers) could be very helpful as navigational aids.

Have you considered porting your code so that it acts as a COM module in
the mozilla style?  How big is the code?  How portable?  How mature?

- Lucas Gonze