List:       mozilla-ui
Subject:    Re: Creating kiosk mode - losing location bar
From:       Jan Peter Hecking <jhecking () netgaroo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-30 13:35:18

On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 01:28:24PM +0100, Richard Hellstrom wrote:
> >I've done some experiments in this direction as I'm going to use Mozilla
> >for a kiosk solution as well. I'm attaching my userChrome.css file that
> >was the result of my (short) experiments. Copy this file into the chrome
> >subdir of your Mozilla profile directory (Something like
> >~/.mozilla/kiosk/XXX/chrome/userChrome.css).
>
> Thanks! This is exactly what I'm looking for. You're my hero!

I've just found out that the new DOMInspector that has landed with the
nightly builds a few days ago is the perfect tool to find out the IDs of
the chrome elements of the browser UI. No hunting throught the dozens of
relevant XUL files anymore! :-)

To hide any UI element:
1) Start Mozilla (any nightly after 2001-11-29 or so...)
2) Tasks -> Tools -> DOM Inspector
3) Switch to DOM Inspector
4) File -> Inspect a Window -> <Title of the Navigator window>
5) Search -> Search Element by Click
6) Click anywhere within the Navigator window
7) Note down the id of the highlighted element in the DOM Inspector
8) Add
   #<id>{ display:none; }
   to your userChrome.css file.

Hope this helps,
Jan

--
Jan Peter Hecking                     jhecking@netgaroo.com
University of Rostock        Department of Computer Science