List:       mozilla-rdf
Subject:    Flash Client-Side Filtering
From:       Doug Turner <dougt () netscape ! com>
Date:       1999-07-27 21:43:55

I have been talking to waterson about this for a while, and thought that
it would be a good idea to bounce around here in the rdf newsgroup
(assuming this is the right place to talk about flash notification).

Instead of maintaining different RDF datasources per customer group, I
would like a way so I can filter which flash messages get displayed to
the enduser on the client side.  For instance, suppose that I am a flash
service and I want to send out a flash message to all my subscribers.
Now suppose my message is platform specific, maybe it has to do with a
Macintosh product.  My windows and unix subscribers probably would not
want to know about this kind of stuff (maybe they would, but lets just
suppose), so I would like to filter it by the client's platform.

Other example is Software Update notification, I would like to query the
Version or Component Registry before asserting a flash.  The question is
how do I do this?

Well waterson and I have created something that does this, but it has to
be a component itself.  See:

http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/xpinstall/notifier/nsXPIFlash.cpp

It is probably not something a service provider would want to write.
So, how can we move this into a simple js snippet?

Well, one thought that was bouncing around was the ability to provide a
url to a javascript file when new flash services are added.  If present,
the javascript could provide the ability to filter flash notification
based on whatever is available to the javascript env.  This would allow
both of the above examples to be build in under 10 or so lines of
javascript (far less than the above nsXPIFlash.cpp).

Any thoughts?

--
Doug Turner
dougt@netscape.com