List:       mozilla-rdf
Subject:    Re: How does mozilla handle bookmarks HTML -> RDF?
From:       Mike Lee <mike_lee () iprimus ! com ! au>
Date:       2002-11-04 3:58:49

We dealing with storage of an RDF here. Not the use of RDF, I am
personally more disappointed at the fact RDF mail datasource was taken
out. I can't think of any good reason why you need to store a bookmark
in RDF. The only possible reason is lack of flexability to define
complex relations between them. However if you look at RDF carefully
you'll find that the main 'feature' of RDF is to solve this problem.

That being every tripple has a subject resource which point to the
subject in question. RDF is a metadata format that annotate remote
resources, thats the main feature and I'm not sure why people keep
forgeting. So how do you solve this flexability problem? You create
another file called metaBookmark.rdf and have it in RDF in all it's
glory that annotate the bookmark with any additional metadata you want.
Simple, in fact that is what I'm going to do instead of polluting the
bookmark itself.

The RDF xml format is for exchange, you don't exchange bookmark.html,
you use mozilla (with an RDF model) to do that. The mozilla profile
directory is pretty hidden and noone should ever need to directly access
the bookmark file (except backup blah blah). I stand my ground, the bug
should be mark wontfix.

Regards

--
Mike Lee
Website: http://www.exitspace.net/mike

["smime.p7s" (application/x-pkcs7-signature)]