List:       mozilla-qt
Subject:    Re: Performance issues
From:       "John C. Griggs" <jcgriggs () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2001-06-25 12:59:54

Elik Eizenberg wrote:

> I use qt daily (KDE) and I program with qt. From my expirience qt is
> much lighter and faster than gtk and motif.
> Yet, I find both the gtk and motif versions of mozilla faster than the
> qt one. Is it going to stay this way (ie. there are some certain
> problems that cannot be fixed) or is this just temporary and the true
> power of qt will be revealed in later versions?

Well, seeing as I've been the only person actively working on the Qt port
for the last year or so, my priority has been to make it functional -
although I've tried to code as efficiently as possible, I haven't paid
particular attention to performance.  This means that I haven't spent any
time comparing the performance to the other ports or attempting to
identify where the bottlenecks are in the Qt port.  I also admit to not
having used Qt prior to working on this (my background is mainly in
Motif/X Intrinsics coding), so it is very possible that I have not coded
optimally for Qt.

If you would like to look into this and propose some patches to improve
performance, I'd be happy to review them and work to integrate them with
the code base.

Regards,
    John Griggs