List:       mozilla-qt
Subject:    Re: Announcing Qt Mozilla (Again)
From:       "John C. Griggs" <johng () corel ! com>
Date:       2001-04-18 9:30:34

Richard Shaw wrote:

> > Although UNIX Mozilla is currently a GTK app (unless you use xlib or Qt
> > as the toolkit) it uses very little Gtk functionality (drag and drop
> > being one of the few Gtk features it uses), I assume QtMozilla is that
> > same and still uses the XPToolkit where possible.

This is correct.  Qt provides the Graphics primitives, timers and basic
widgets upon which the XPToolkit is built.

To answer your previous question about the benefits of this port, to my
mind some of these are (in no particular order):

1) The ability to leverage Qt's cross-platform nature to use a single
Mozilla code base to support multiple platforms (Windows, Linux/UNIX and
embedded).

2) The possibility of tighter integration of Mozilla technology with KDE
and other Qt-based technologies.

3) A more "pure" C++ based port than Gtk, which is still C based at its
lowest levels.

4) Greater freedom of choice - hopefully leading to more widespread use
of Mozilla and its technology and the integration of this technology
into other interesting projects.

I'm sure there are more that will come to me after I have another
coffee...

> IIRC this is a fairly complete port, without XPToolkit as much as possible, I
> think that is the intent, I'm fairly sure the original Qt Mozilla by
> trolltech was a complete port in this sense.  Of course I could very easily
> be way off with this, John (Griggs) emailed me an explanation about this a
> long time ago, but my HDD has failed since then, any my memory is like a
> collander.

Sorry, but this is incorrect (except for the part about the original
TrollTech port - and I believe you about me emailing you, though I don't
specifically recall it at the moment 8^).  The current Qt port only
provides the mechanisms required by XPToolkit - I did not update the
native widgets that were part of the TrollTech effort and are still used
by some of the test applications, but not by Mozilla itself (this is why
you must configure with --disable-tests to build Qt Mozilla.)

Post again if you have any more questions...

Regards,
	John Griggs