List:       mozilla-qt
Subject:    Re: Changes to D&D and Clipboard APIs
From:       tague () netscape ! com (Tague Griffith)
Date:       1999-08-25 19:11:41

pete collins wrote:

> Mike Pinkerton wrote:
>
> > Hi all. In the next few days, I'm going to be landing changes to the
> > drag and drop and clipboard api's in order to make them accessable from
> > JavaScript. I will fix up the implementations for mac, gtk, and win32,
> > but all other platforms, I'm afraid, will break.
> >
> > This is a heads up so you know it's coming. I'll send out more mail when
> > I do finally land.
> >
> > --
> > Mike Pinkerton
> > Mac Browser Weenie
> > pinkerton@netscape.com    http://people.netscape.com/pinkerton
>
> this is something i never really understood.
> if someone checks in code, do they only verify it works on there developing
> OS?
> or only the supported OS's?

all developers are expected to have working code on the tier-1 (i.e.
machines on the main tinderbox page), developers aren't necessarily
expected to make their code work for the OSes on the ports page.

> Would it be far to time to consuming and unproductive to verify code with
> most other OS's before checking in?

yes.  developers can only verify code on so many machines before the
benefits of portability verification outweigh the loss in feature
development time.  also, you can only expect developers to understand
and have access to so many platforms.  in terms of writing portable
code, netscape and now mozilla expect alot more of the average developer
than most companies.

> is it someone else's job to fix code checked in to make sure it builds
> everywhere?

yes, interested people need to get on board to support their platform.
right now mozilla is committed to support linux, macintosh, win32, and
solaris.  we work with other interested developers and support them to
port to other systems and architectures.

this doesn't mean that we aren't going to help with other platforms, we
try to support everyone as much as possible.  it's just a reality of
life that we can be 100% on every OS people are interested.  but that's
also part of the point of open source - freedom to take the code and do
what *YOU* want with it, not necessarily what the project is doing.

> are there some docs that describe the religious process of checking in
> code?

yes, see the tinderbox page and mozilla.org.

> in a perfect world i guess it would be ideal if every check in was verified
> ahead of time.

no it wouldn't.  there are too many os'es, it would take well over a day
to make even minor changes to the tree.

> i have never worked on a large code project before, so that is why i am
> asking.

heh heh heh - most don't run like this :P.  all projects are going to
have their own rules based on the projects goals.