List:       mozilla-qt
Subject:    Re: Thunderbird: Web links and default mailer in KDE
From:       Neil Williams <neil () metamedia ! uk ! com>
Date:       2004-01-12 23:32:20

Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I really like Thunderbird, which I run on a KDE 3.1.4 desktop.
>> However, I have a couple of small issues and hope someone on the list
>> can point me in the right direction.
>>
>> When I click on Web links in a message nothing happens. I have to cut
>> and paste the link into my browser rather than 1 click to open a
>> browser window that points at the desired location.
>

> Are you using the mozilla.org binaries or a packaged version?
> Debian does it for me automatically, so I haven't had to do anything to
> get it working for me.

I use SuSE 8.2 but have taken the binaries from mozilla.org

A reply in the mozilla-unix list pointed me to
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/linuxurls.html

which lead me to create a user.js file with

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http","/opt/kde3/bin/konqueror");

Now when I click hyperlinks in Thunderbird a Konqueror window opens with
the required URL loaded. So problem 1 of 2 sorted.

>> Secondly, I've set up Thunderbird as my KDE email client but this
>> fails to work at it should.
>>

> What does this mean?

In Control Center > KDE Components > Component Chooser I've selected
"Use a different [not Kmail] email client" and added the path to
Thunderbird. My KDE applications now start Thunderbird when a mail
client is needed but instead of giving me a compose window all I get is
the application starting. For example, if in Konqueror I click on a
hyperlink mailto:bob@acme.com then Thunderbird starts in the "normal"
mode when what I'd actually like to happen is have a compose window pop up.