List:       mozilla-os2
Subject:    Re: address book file
From:       Christer Jacobsson <cribo.jacobsson () gaea ! se>
Date:       2020-03-05 7:34:00

os24u@wisdomtree.info wrote:
> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-os2-request@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 02 Mar 2020 \
> 12:00:02 +0000
> >
> > As the new mail&newsgroup will be placed in the r:\mozilla.org\Mozilla  tree, the \
> > easist way to go would be to open two windowed OS/2 sessions. In the first \
> > session, invoke the Profile Manager, and in the 2nd open  the Profile Manager \
> > after setting MOZILLA_HOME=R:\MOZILLA.ORG\MOZILLA  locally. Then tick off the \
> > relevant options in the new profile and close  down the Profile Manager. But how \
> > should the Adress Book be migrated,  via a command to SMPMW1118 or could the file \
> > be copied straight into the  new profile which now is housed in the \
> > R:\MOZILLA.ORG\MOZILLA tree. And  when we are at it, will the required subdirs in \
> > r:\mozilla.org\mozilla  be created automagically. As you know, a profile is \
> > stored under a dir  called xxxxxxxx.slt, and that dir in the \
> > r:\mozilla.org\mozilla tree  should be created if the migration of the Adress \
> > Book and  Mail&Newsgroups is migrated via the migrate function rather than copied \
> > straight off - the file(s) can be wrongly placed in the  r:\mozilla.org\mozilla \
> > tree, and that may render the new profile  nonfunctional.
>
> copy abook.mab to new profile for address book. I still believe you will not have \
> success unless you manually copy the \mail directory files one at a time into a new \
> profile to find corruption.

The mails itself are not currupted - plain text mails shows just fine,
but mails containing links, pics, fileattachs trows up a message stating
  "To protect your privacy, Seamonkey have blocked remote content in
this message" and THAT message never came up before the default profile
went sick. The default profile is even sicker now, when She sent off a
plain text mail, it did NOT go into the Sent folder as it did before the
crash.

> > And when we are on the migration stuff, She tried to migrate SMPMW118 to  SM 2.1, \
> > but that screwed up the display of our Swedish tail-end  cnaracters, "??", "??" \
> > and "??", so how would She set the relevant char  setting (not the font which is \
> > Western) so that our Swedish tail-end  chars is displayed correctly when SMPMW118 \
> > is migrated to SM 2.1 on the  new box?
>
> What do you have in prefs.js of SM118? The default is below when I created a \
> profile:
> user_pref("intl.charsetmenu.browser.cache", "UTF-8");

There are three statements controlling this in prefs.js namely:
<$copy>
user_pref("intl.charsetmenu.browser.cache", "windows-1252, KOI8-R,
ISO-8859-1, us-ascii, UTF-8");
user_pref("intl.charsetmenu.composer.cache", "ISO-8859-1, UTF-8,
windows-1252");
user_pref("intl.charsetmenu.mailview.cache", "UTF-8, windows-1252,
ISO-8859-15, ISO-8859-1, windows-1251");
</$copy>.

So the best way here would be to change the three statements above to
only include UTF-8, or does it suffice to change the statement you shew
Her above to only read UTF-8. But She think that changing the two
statements "charsetmenu,composer.cache" and "charsetmenu.mailview.cache"
should be changed to only include UTF-8, or are She out in the blue
here? With a Migrate mail and Newsgroup command, all the msg's should be
converted to UTF-8. Or would it be better to copy over the Inbox (mail)
and various Inboxes for the newsgroups to their proper places in the
newly created  profile tree?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-)  Ex-wife deceased :-(
        Team OS/2      e-mail:  cribo.jacobsson@gaea.se (Primary)