List:       mozilla-os2
Subject:    Re: Infinality fontconfig?
From:       Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-05-19 17:13:28

Alex Taylor wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2013 06:15:44 UTC, Dave Yeo<dave.r.yeo@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Ideally the patched freetyp2 should also use special fontconfig
>> settings. As our fontconfig is very simple compared to the real one
>> there isn't much that can be done. One thing is to change the default
>> fonts. Currently they are,
>> #define DEFAULT_SERIF_FONT          "Times New Roman"
>> #define DEFAULT_SERIF_FONTJA        "Times New Roman WT J"
>> #define DEFAULT_SANSSERIF_FONT      "Helvetica"
>> #define DEFAULT_MONOSPACED_FONT     "Courier"
>> #define DEFAULT_SYMBOL_FONT         "Symbol Set"
>> #define DEFAULT_DINGBATS_FONT       "DejaVu Sans"
>>
>> I could build versions with these,
>>                   style: sans-serif, serif, monospace
>> 		Microsoft: Arial, Times New Roman, Courier New
>> 		OSX: Helvetica Neue, Times, Courier
>> 		Linux: DejaVu Sans, Liberation Serif, Liberation Mono
>> The OSX ones would be the same as what we have now unless someone is
>> using the above fonts. What kind of font does OSX use? Can OS/2 display
>> them?
>
> I'm confused.  What do you mean about "Microsoft", "OSX", "Linux"?  Do
> you mean those are the default fonts under those platforms?  What does
> that have to do with what OS/2 uses?
>
> Our default fonts should be fonts that are likely to be installed on
> OS/2 (the ones listed at the top are good choices already)...

I'm just trying to reflect what the infinality fontconfig patch does.
It's just an experiment and won't get checked into the official sources.
I've been using the Linux version for a few days and the sites that fall
back on the default look better with Deja Sans and the Liberation fonts
using the patched freetype.
Dave