List:       mozilla-os2
Subject:    Re: SM 1.0.7 and SMTP with TLS.
From:       "William L. Hartzell" <wlhartzell () tx ! rr ! com>
Date:       2007-03-09 4:05:56

Sir:

Steve Wendt wrote:
> William L. Hartzell wrote:
>
>> Do you guys know that there is an RFC out that depreciates using
>> special ports for secure connections.
>
> Deprecated or not, using an unexpected port number is a common security
> trick/enhancement.  It makes snooping a lot harder...

IETF is in the process of making secure connections the default.  The
first step is to do away with separate ports...  I would guess that
change will be mandatory in about three years when a bunch of other
stuff arrives (like IPv6 & IPsec that does not require Public key
encryption or security certificates).
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!