List:       mozilla-os2
Subject:    Re: ctrl-Z in text bug
From:       Dave Yeo <dave.r.yeo () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-08-30 0:40:41

Peter Weilbacher wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:03:12 UTC, Dave Yeo wrote:
>
>> Wondering if anyone knows of a bug filed for Mozilla not being able to
>> open a text file terminated with a ctrl-z such as E.EXE creates. And
>> whether to open one.
>> Dave
>> ps an example right now is http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/incoming/nice6.txt
>
> You should talk to this Dave Yeo who uploaded the file why he is still
> using an unpatched version of e.exe. ;-)

Actually some time back I did install the patched version of e.exe.
Unluckily the WPS just uses the old renamed e.exe.bak. Now fixed. :)
Still I do see quite a few of these text files and it would be nice if
they just opened.

> I suspect that even if it is advertized as text/plain by the server and
> has a .txt extension Mozilla gets suspicous when it finds "binary"
> characters in that file. As there are many servers sending text/plain
> wrongly, this may be for security reasons. But I didn't find a bug,
> either. As a workaround you can enter SeaMonkey (or whatever browser you
> are using) in the download dialog, so that it opens in the browser.

Well strictly speaking under any DOS like operating system it should
just stop reading the file when coming across a ctrl-z though I notice
that even e.exe doesn't obey this rule. Copy with the /a parametre or
using a text device does honour the ctrl-z
Dave