List:       mozilla-os2
Subject:    Re: Fonts:  Not using as specified in page
From:       Carl Gehr <carl.gehr.NoSPAM () attglobal ! net>
Date:       2003-04-28 22:38:15

Mike,
Several updates, inserted below.  But,the key one:
	THANKS!  Your suggestions fixed the problem!
Michael Kaply wrote:
> Carl Gehr wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Mike, but I do have a font that is supposed to be called
>> Monospace. And, it works on Netscape on this same system.  Why would
>> Mozilla have a problem and NS not have the same problem?
>

> You actually have a font on your system that has the name "Monospace"?

Well, the font is actually named "Monospaced" not 'monospace'.  This was
probably the key to the confusion.  I also missed the misspelling as we
went through this exercise.

> Very strange
>

>> Another bit of strangeness:  In the Preferences for Mozilla, there is
>> the option to select Monospace, but in the equivalent for NS, this
>> font is not listed.
>

> Sounds to me like Netscpae 4.x doesn't thing the font is actually a
> monospaced font.
>
>> Now, I will also pass your comment on to the person who maintains the
>> page(s) and see what he can figure out.  But, if you have any
>> suggestions, I'd appreciate them.
>

> If at all possible, you should avoid hardcoding font names (especially
> obscure ones like "Monospace"
The person who wrote the page did not understand that putting double
quotes around the parameter specified a specific font rather than a
font-family.  He said that even some of the reference books that he has
did not explicitly point this out.

> The user has configured a monospaced font, so you should not need to set
> it to something else.
>
> Mike

Net:  We are now using exactly [w/o the "..."] what you specified.  The
page is now displaying correctly.  And, I have been able to change my
Mozilla defaults and actually see the fonts change in response.

Again, thank you very much for the help!

Carl