List:       mozilla-license
Subject:    Re: Delphi Components (SynEdit)
From:       "Michael Beck \(Team JEDI\)" <mbeck1NOxSPAM () compuserve ! com>
Date:       2001-08-27 8:40:29

"Bjorn Reese" <breese@mail1.stofanet.dk> wrote in message
news:3B863CF2.7736187E@mail1.stofanet.dk...

> The entire idea of "inheritance-scope" is too easily circumvented.
>
> Suppose class A is covered by such a license. If I create class B which
> inherits from class A, then I have to release class B. I can avoid this
> by creating a new class A' which has an interface similar to class A,
> and which simply uses class A rather than inherits from it. Now I can
> let class B inherit from class A' without having to release anything.
> This is a simplified version of the Bridge design pattern (see "Design
> Patterns" by Gamma et al.)

Yes, there will be always some "sneaky programmers", who will try to beat
the system <g>

But the end result will be that people who don't agree with a "free ride"
concept won't release any OpenSource code anymore, or will do it via GPL
with all the "viral" consequences. In both cases the community will lose.

--
Michael Beck (Team JEDI)  http://delphi-jedi.org
http://www.geocities.com/beckmi/delphi.htm