List:       mozilla-license
Subject:    Re: GPL/NPL JS Script Question
From:       Frank Hecker <frank () collab ! net>
Date:       2001-05-30 12:55:52

Jason wrote:
> Anyway, I read the GPL and NPL and am still a little confused on
> something.... say I want to use Mozilla's JS library in a program.  So I
> buid my program and add their DLL to add scripting support.  Now if I want
> to release that program, do I have to make the entire thing open-source or
> do I just need to provide the source code for the JS library?

(Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. It's my
own personal opinion.)

You just need to provide source code for the JavaScript library. The
licensing scheme for the library allows you to use the code under either
NPL terms and conditions or GPL terms and conditions, at your choice. If
you use the JS library code under NPL terms and conditions then you are
not obliged to release source code for your own code. You can fulfill
the NPL terms and conditions for the JS libary code by making source
code available for the libary, and by providing the other notifications
required by the NPL. You do not need to worry about any requirements
arising from the GPL, since you are not exercising the option to use the
JS libary under GPL terms and conditions.

Incidentally, the simplest way to make source code available for the JS
libary is simply to put on your site a copy of the JS libary source code
as you used it for your own application. Please _don't_ simply point to
mozilla.org, because that doesn't identify the exact version of the JS
libary code you used. If you do point to mozilla.org, please add enough
information to enable a person to check out or download the exact
version of the code you used.

> Since I
> wouldn't be modifying Mozilla's JS library, and it IS still a fully
> functional component without my programs source, I would think that I would
> be allowed to keep my program closed source (as long as I distributed the JS
> DLL source and the GPL/NPL with it).

This factor is actually irrelevant, as it turns out. If you use the JS
library code under NPL terms then the dividing line is based on file
boundaries: If you modify code in the JS libary source files then your
changes come under the NPL; if you modify code in your own source files
then your changes are not affected by the NPL.

On the other hand, if you use the JS library code under GPL terms then
it doesn't matter if you don't modify the JS library code, or if the JS
libary code is fully functional without your program; in either case
fulfilling GPL terms for the JS library code would require you to fufill
GPL terms for your own program. If you don't want to do that then your
only option is to use the JS library code under NPL terms, as you are
allowed to do.

Frank
--
Frank Hecker            work: http://www.collab.net/