List:       mozilla-license
Subject:    Re: Get ISP's to support Linux users!
From:       Liisa Vermeer <Liisa.Vermeer () liisa ! pp ! fi>
Date:       1998-04-05 5:33:32

Chuck Simmons wrote:

> Martin Vermeer wrote:
> >
> > After reading about Andreessen's statements concerning Netscape and
> > Linux (natural allies BTW, so true!), the idea came to me: cannot
> > Netscape *insist* in some way that ISPs that want to redistribute
> > Netscape/Mozilla (in whatever form) that those ISPs would offer a
> > similar level of end-user support for Linux that they offer for
> > Windows/Mac and other platforms?
>
> This is a bad idea.  ISP's cannot afford to invest in time needed to
> train support techs on Linux simply to support a couple of odd users.
> The last time I called my ISP's support over a matter, the tech had
> never even heard of Linux.

Can you afford an incompetent ISP? :-) What server do they run?

> The problem gets worse when you consider
> that a good many Linux users that an ISP would encounter are very astute
> users so the problems tend to be highly technical and quite difficult.

Agree. Usenet is the place for that. (Fortunately for the ISP's,
Windows users are more simpleminded!)

> Over time, this could change but such evolution cannot be forced to
> economic disadvantage to the service providers.  It must happen because
> it is time for it to happen.

I think it *is* changing... there's a lot of Linux newbies out there
that never even saw another Unix (Doubling time ~12 months, if you're
a Linux user for more than that you're a veteran. See Red Hat
whitepaper.) One should play into that...

> Chuck

Thanx!

Hmmm... not even the minimalist "support" of providing a "stick in & run
install" diskette for Linux? (i.e. based upon a standard kit from
Netscape into which the ISP plugs in his phone number, nameservers,
protocol parms etc. etc. The same as for Windows.) Actually my ISP
(EUNET Finland) helped me out with getting ppp running. It was a human,
himself Linux user. Would not have been necessary if a standard install
had been available.

I agree that more technical questions are better solved thru the
newsgroups, makes no sense to have telephone support for that.
(actually makes little sense, generally, except for handholding
absolute beginners to get on their way ;-)

Martin