List:       mozilla-license
Subject:    GPL is a joke anyways
From:       nospam () non ! uce
Date:       1998-03-28 11:13:27

I wanted to remain quiet about this but this whole thing has become so
silly that I feel as a GNU'ist I must make a statement.

  It has seemed like ever since the mozilla license newsgroup was
started there has been a push for having the mozilla source code
available under the General Public License.  RMS seems hell bent on
fuelling the fire with demands of additional lines that "need" to be
added to NPL.  Unforantly, from all I have expierenced that Netscape may
have a better view of GNU'ism than RMS at this point.  It appears that
RMS has given up on GNU in favor of GPL.

  To explain what I mean by this, it is important that you understand
both was GNU and GPL is and is not.  GNU was started around 1985 as a
philosophy for creating a "free" operating system.  However, a large
part of the philosophy is in how the word "free" is defined.  Unlike the
popular view where software provided for $0 is "free," GNU called for
it's compotents to be complettely modifable while still possibly having
a price tag on it.  At these origins there was no GPL, all that was
important
was that the software fit the GNU'ist defination of "free" software.
Today that continues, as stated at:

     http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html#TOCCopyleftedSoftware

     Free software is software that comes with permission for anyone to
     use, copy, and distribute, either verbatim or with modifications,
     either gratis or for a fee. In particular, this means that source
     code must be available. ``If it's not source, it's not software.''

     If a program is free, then it can potentially be included in a free
     operating system such as GNU, or free GNU/Linux systems..

However, today we also have the General Public License which, as RMS has
stated, does NOT contain the word GNU in it's title.  Unfortantly, he
has failed to notice that it also is so far removed from GNU in practice
that it works against a GNU'ist goals.

    A GNU'ist would like nothing better than to see the distribution of
the source code.  While it has made several people happy that Internet
Explorer 3/4 and Netscape Communicator Standard 4.04 have been available
with a $0 price tag, neither have been "free" according to the GNU'ist
view.  On March 31st, however, Mozilla Navigator will fit the GNU'ist
defination of "free software" and as such qualify for being included in
a GNU system (even when released only under NPL)!  When this becomes
reality it will be a major win for GNU!  On the other hand, GPL has
proven to be MEANINGLESS in actual practice of being associated with
distributing source code.

  To prove this point, I would like to point to one area where GNU and
GPL should be followed the best: the Linux community.  Withen the Linux
community, a company called RedHat has gone to great lengths
to be compliant with GPL, even to the point of providing "pristine
sources" which strictly follow the requirements given in section 2 of
the GPL v2.  RedHat distributions have also included a file
/usr/doc/emacs-xx.x/FAQ which contains:

     RMS writes:

     The legal meaning of the GNU copyleft is less important than the
     spirit, which is that Emacs is a free software project and that
     work pertaining to Emacs should also be free software.  "Free"
     means that all users have the freedom to study, share, change and
     improve Emacs.  To make sure everyone has this freedom, pass along
     source code when you distribute any version of Emacs or a related
     program, and give the recipients the same freedom that you enjoyed.

  RedHat has also been nice enough to allow anyone to copy and
distribute the majority of RedHat freely.  Some of the companies that
have also released their own RedHat distribution CD-Roms have been
Yggdrasil, InfoMagic, Cheap*Bytes, and Linux System Labs.  Of each of
the companies that I listed above, only one uses GPL in the product
name.  RedHat's own products have sold under the titles "Offical RedHat
5.0 box set" or "RedHat Powertools."  Yggdrasil has been successfully
shipping "Winter 97 Linux Internet Archives" -- InfoMagic has "Linux
Developer's Resource" -- Cheap*bytes provides "CheapBytes Red Hat 5.0"
-- and Linux Systems Labs has "RedHat 5.0 GPL"

  So, now for the proof:

  If GPL has to do with distribution of source code then one would
expect that it would be LSL's product would be the mostly likely one to
be fully compliant with the distribution terms of the GPL.  Yet, it
appears that is each of the OTHER products listed above that don't
contain GPL in the title that contain the GNU source code.  It is clear
that the "GPL CDROM" doesn't contain the source code that the RedHat
Official CDs do as described at:

  http://www.lsl.com/catalog/software/redhat5.0.gpl/index.htm

  Next, the GPL makes an attempt in section 3 to require a commerical
distributibutor to either provide the source code or a written offer to
provide the source code.  When I notified LSL they shipped me a product
that provided neither, Dan Irvin replied for LSL in the form of:

     We enthusiastically embrace the GPL and have donated thousands of
     dollars to the free software community.  By including  the GPL in a
     text file on all our CDs we explicitly define our compliance to the
     GPL.

  Ahhh.  There we have it from a person that has explained to me by
phone that LSL's whole business depends on free software and the would
never do anything to compermise GPL that Section 3 of the GPL v2 is a
meaningless guideline.  "Compliance" with GPL means nothing more than
including a copy of the GPL text.

  Btw, I have notified RMS of these events.  What has he accomplished to
change LSL's actions?  Maybe they don't need changing?  Maybe one should
not expect a GPL CDROM to have the source code?

  So, for those that want to continue to push that Mozilla Navigator
needs to be GPL, please discover the answers to these questions:

Does the "GPL CDROM" containing RH5 from LSL follow the spirit of GNU
(as stated above) and provide the source code to GNU Emacs when they
distribute the binary?

     If no, then is there a written offer included with the product that
     offers the source code availiablity for at least three years as
     stated
     under the distribution terms of GPL v2 Section 3b?

"GPL CDROM" implies that the entire CDROM is covered by the GPL which
usually means the packages can be freely used even in a commerical
enviroment.  Is that truely the case?

     Does the CDROM exclude the "ncftp" or "xv" packages of RH5?

     Can LSL provide a written statement from either author that they
     are covered on the GPL or a less restrictive license?

  If your answer was "no" to all of these then hasn't the
enthusiastically embracing of GPL done by LSL including a defination of
GPL that contradicts the GNU'ist requirements for free software?

  Another issue you should be aware of is that GPL *FURTHER* restricts
your freedom of being able to modify the source than NPL does!  The GPL
handling of patents would make it impossible to have a Mozilla Web
Editor that can save modified GIF's as a feature.  If the US where to
remove all crypto export restictions, a GPL Mozilla Navigator still
couldn't do RSA.  There is alot of additional modifiablity permitted
under NPL!

  RMS needs to get off his high horse and clean up his own license
enforment before he goes making demands about other licenses.  If you
bring only remember one major point from reading this then let it be
this:

  Mozilla Navigator will be released on March 31 under the NPL and will
provide one more additional "free software" package.

  If Mozilla Navigator was released under GPL they might as well release
it on April 1st.  It is time for the progression of the GPL joke to slow
down!

  Just stop attacking Mozilla.org for NPL because it is groups like
Mozilla and RedHat that are the real GNU'ist in all of this!